Up Close in Independent Wrestling with Special Guest, UCW Superstar, "THE" Boss

I work with UCW in Union City, TN on a weekly basis. I am not "Surprised" when something surprising happens, because that is what they are about. I was informed a few weeks ago that a man was being brought in to the company and I would be surprised when I saw him. I was only told his name, "THE" Boss. There was no other explanation, nor was there a description. To say I was intrigued would be an understatement. Being the inquisitive person I am, I began to search for anything I could about "THE" Boss. What I found was impressive, but it would not compare to actually meeting this man. He stands 6'8" weighs 425 pounds, and I am not saying this lightly, 425 solid pounds. He wears a size 16 shoe. His feet are almost one and a half feet long themselves. Impressed? Yes. Intimidated? Mildly, but very glad I cover the matches instead of having to face him. These were my first impressions.

What else did I see that first meeting, you ask? This man towers over most people. He has the strength to conduct business as he chooses.  He is agile enough to make moving in the ring look easy. This man is "The" Boss, and I was fortunate enough to land an interview with him.

I said all of that to say this. "THE" Boss is more than just a name. He is an attitude. Attitude is what can make or break you in any portion of life. This man was found by me, to be gracious, and focused. He has the opportunity to make a big name for himself in this sport.

The following questions will help you see what makes this Big Man tick. It is not the limited 10 Questions I have been posing to others I interviewed. It is my first installment of "Up Close in Independent Wrestling".


Question: Who trained you to become a pro wrestler?
Answer: I was trained by former WWE superstar and WWE Woman's Champion, Jazz.

Question: When was your first match and who was it with?
Answer: My first match was a squash match against my trainer Rodney Mack....I got killed but boy did I think I was something.

Question: What was your reason you decided on the characteristics of your persona?
Answer: Look at me I'm a giant. Everybody has seen the big beast giant type. Why not be the big beast giant, but have a Ric Flair twist added. By no means am I comparing myself to Flair. I just love his style.

Question: What in your opinion was the best venue you have competed in?
Answer: I don't really know about best venue, but I do recall one venue in particular in which I was amazed. We were in New Orleans with Rodney and Jazz, and we pull up to a catholic church. I was like are you serious?  Coming from the background in which I was raised. It was by far the craziest venue.

 Question: What organizations have you worked for and what has been your longest run in one company?
Answer:I've wrestled for many organizations over the years. Each have their own sort of, I guess you would say," inspiration " on me.

Question: What made you become a wrestler?
Answer: Another funny story,  as a kid, I went and watched wrestling. There I saw two heels jump one of the guys, I've got a lot of respect for, Mr. Freezer Thompson. As I started to shed a tear "Freezer" jumps up, all Hulk Hogan like, and fights them off. That night I kinda told myself, One day I'm gonna be like that, I'm gonna be that superhero guy that wrestles for people.

Question: Where do you hope your career will be in the next 5 years?
Answer: Of course anybody will tell you, I wanna be in the big leagues. No doubt, I am not saying any different. To be honest, just doing what I love to do, putting on a show for people, and surrounding myself with good people and my brothers in this business, is what I hope to continue.

Question: What is your opinion on modern wrestling compared to the golden age?
Answer: Many different things come to mind. The one thing that stands out to me is, just the different styles...it's phenomenal how much it has evolved.

Question: What makes you stand out in the wrestling business, besides your size as that is a given? Answer: Honestly I think it's the fact that I will go out there give 100 percent heart. I do my best to put on the best match I've ever had, each and every time I step in that ring. Regardless if there's 1 person or 20000 people in the audience.

Question: If you could change one thing about your career in wrestling, what would it be?
Answer: Nothing! Haven't you read my shirt and heard my motto? I'm pure absolute greatness....Haha.

Question: When your in the ring, what do you focus on, your opponent or the crowd?
Answer: The answer to that is both. If you've ever seen my matches, you know I work at a snail's pace. I've got this old saying from a good vet buddy of mine. "We are gonna start slow and then taper off from there." So it gives me time to play to the crowd as well as think about my next move.

Question: If you weren't wrestling, what would you see yourself doing?
Answer: I would be Rich and not as beat up. But no, Haha....I would be a used car salesman!

Question: If you had to do it all over again, would you pursue this career path?
Answer: Without a minutes doubt.

Question: What is the best crowd reaction you have experienced and what caused it?
Answer: There's a tie between two. The first one would be in Hardy, AR., at a low ceiling retail store. There was barely any room to work and it was me and J.D. Kerry in a handicap match. We faced Rodney Mack. Rodney picked J.D. up for a bear hug, and ran his head straight through the ceiling tile. The second would have to be the time Shane Draven superplexed me off the top ropes.... Nobody in their right minds thought us two big guys could fly like that.

Question: What do your friends and family think about you being a wrestler?
Answer: You know, I think everyone's got those family members that are diehard "marks". They think highly of me. But regardless how many times I tell my parents I'm fine, they still think I'm getting the heck beat out of me every match I have.

Question: Which organization in the wrestling world did you find more inspiring as a young man getting into the business?
Answer: Of all the organizations I've worked for over the years whether it be currently UCW to MACW I'm always gonna be partially to Rodney Mack and Jazz at DCW because they gave a kid with a crazy dream of being a professional wrestler a chance and they they gave me my start in this crazy think we call the wrestling business.

Question: Do you generally watch wrestling for entertainment or to try to get new moves?
Answer: I'll be honest I'm a diehard "mark" when it comes to watching wrestling. I'm literally consumed and passionate about learning and doing everything I possibly can to better my wrestling career. I enjoy the entertainment portion as well , so it would be a little of both.

Question: If there was one thing you could pass on to an aspiring wrestler, what would that be?
Answer: To look at your being able to wrestle as a freedom. Never take it for granted for one minute. Because there are thousands of people that would die to be in your shoes. If you ever think for one minute that you know everything there is to know about wrestling, take some time off or consider hanging it up because nobody knows everything. If you aren't constantly learning something there may be a reason.......


 Thanks again brother for giving me this opportunity. I truly do appreciate it. It's truly an honor.

Thank you as well Boss, the honor was all mine. I see a bright future for you, I just hope your career goes as you plan it.

Derrick O'Dell
Wrestling News Center