10 Questions with Independent Wrestling Star J.D. Rage / Cpt. Madman

I was embarrassed and impressed at the same time when I met J.D. Rage on Nov 17th of this year. I knew his face, but when I shook his hand, I introduced myself. I told him I had never met him before. Here is the embarrassing part, He replied "Yes you have". Perplexed, I asked, when? He said, do you remember Cpt. Madman? It hit me, J.D. Rage was Cpt. Madman... Here is why I was impressed. For someone to be able to pull off a completely different style and persona to the point of not being recognized is a true gift. J.D. Rage has that gift.

I have seen him wrestle now on two occasions. Both of which I enjoyed for entirely different reasons. As Cpt. Madman he is funny and unpredictable. As J.D. Rage he is sadistic, non-caring and overbearing. In my honest opinion , all great qualities. (Just some humor thrown in for fun.) For a man to be able to change his style depending on environment, is a task most can not do. To fit in where needed is a special something that a person in this business needs. J.D. Rage is that type of person and it was a pleasure to have finally met him as well.

If you get the opportunity to go and see J.D. Rage or Cpt. Madman, it is worth your money for the ticket. Please take some time and get to know J.D. Rage AKA Cpt Madman in the following 10 Questions.

Ht: 5'11"
Wt: 253lbs
Years wrestling: 25
Current promotions: Due to a shoulder injury, I currently don't wrestle anywhere. Most recently PWE/AAW Union City and WOWF Newbern. I am starting to do some announcing at WOWF while I heal.

1. Why did you want to become a pro wrestler?  I wanted to become a wrestler because growing up here in the MidSouth, I adored Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Austin Idol and everyone else who came thru and sold out the MidSouth Coliseum every Monday night. I remember being a small child and thinking, "Man, I'd love to do that!"

2. Who is your Favorite Wrestler and why? My favorite wrestler was/is/will forever be Shawn Michaels. Best in ring perfromer ever. A very close 2nd is "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

3. What is the best experience in or out of the ring you have had in pro wrestling and why?  Best experience in wrestling was a Southwest US tour I did when working for the WWF. It was great getting to know some of the other workers, hanging out and partying, plus I met "Macho Man" on that tour. A true highlight in my life.

4. What was the Coolest venue/location you have wrestled in and why? Coolest venue was the San Diego Sports Arena. A lot of the guys I'd trained with came to support me and due to the magazine exposure we were getting in southern California at the time, the crowd knew who I was and were chanting my name as I entered. It was about 4000 strong for WWF TV taping, so it was overwhelming and cool as all get out at the same time.

5. Who is the most experienced or well known person you have wrestled?  Most experienced or well known person I've worked with? Guess it depends on who YOU think is the most well-known...Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase, Rikishi, Yokozuna...there are several well known I've had the opportunity to work with.

6. Is there a story behind your wrestling name? I was doing a show at Bay Area Wrestling, and at the time I used my given name. There were 3 other wrestlers named Jason on the show that night, so the promoter asked that I come up with something different, I took my father's initials and added some spice and J.D. Rage was born. Years later, following a concussion and when I donned a ripped up mask---Cpt. Madman came to be.

7. Who over the years has been your Biggest Rival and why? As J.D. Rage, my biggest rival was "The Walking Weapon" Ben Peller in the Southwest. We battled for several different titles in different promotions for years. Cpt. Madman's greatest rivals would be The P.O.B. group with Ron Rage and Mickey Ray and Big Boy Leroy

8. What is your entrance theme Music? As J.D. Rage, it's an original song from my band Knucklebuster. It's an instrumental of a song called "Working Class Swag" As Cpt. Madman it's a medley of "Monster In The Mirror/Crazy Babies" from Sesame Street and Ozzy Osbourne

9. What makes you stand out in the wrestling business? What makes me stand out is my ability to adapt to different styles and different tasks. I trained not only with American style wrestlers, but also a few Luchadors, so many people who wrestle me are surprised with the aerial moves I do at my size. Also, I'm "pretty good on the stick", so my mic skills have helped when I've been asked to do promos or announcing/commentating.

10. What has been your Proudest Moment in the sport of wrestling.? Proudest Moment in Wrestling? I don't know that I could pick just one, but just having met and become friends with so many people in and from this crazy business is very rewarding. Getting the letter from Jerry Jarrett when I was in Southern Cal asking me to come work in USWA was a definite highlight for an up and coming J.D. Rage.

Thank You J.D. For your in depth answers to the 10 Questions. I wish you nothing but the best.

Derrick O'Dell
Wrestling News Center
Top Picture supplied by J.D. Rage.